2. 2. 2020

Review: Lordi- Killection (2020)


It's again time to hellcome new LORDI album. "Killection" is the tenth Lordi album and this time they decided to do it differently. The new album should be something like a fictional compilation album with the songs from different music eras, from 70's to nowdays music. It's quite interesting concept and there is a big space for making music experiments. Since I found out the concept of this album I wasn't sure what to think about. I wanted to wait till I hear the whole album and then to do some conclusions. So what do I think about "Killection"?

Before the record was released we got a few taste of the new music. The first single was "Shake the Baby Silent". I really like that 90's sound but I still think the lyrics are poor. Just random words which rhyme together. Than Lordi released music video for "I Dug a Hole in the Yard For You" and I was like 'ok, this is better'. At least the lyrics make sense. And I'm sure "I Dug a Hole..." and "Shake the Baby Silent" will both work fine live. 


The next single was "Like a Bee to the Honey". This is very interesting song because of its background. The song was originally written by Paul Stanley from KISS and we all know how much most of Lordi members love KISS. It's probably the first real Lordi love song. I know Lordi recorded "love" songs also before but it always has some evil twist. Not this time. I have to mention Michael Monroe playing saxophone solo in this song which is quite cool. BUT, if I wanna listen to KISS I play KISS in my recorder. I would describe it with classic words "not great, not terrible". I have "a problem" with this Kiss sound also with one another song- "Blow My Fuse". I can image this song would be sung by Gene Simmons.  This time we also got real disco song "Zombimbo". I know some really love this song. I quite like the chorus. But again, it doesn't impress me much. Let's talk about the songs I actually like. "Horror for Hire" has this chorus you'll sing along at the concert and I really hope they will play it live. With "Cutterfly" I have to agree with many fans. This song is really good and I love the keyboards in this one. "Evil" is more my kind of style. It seems like this song would perfectly fit into Demonarchy part of "Monstereophonic" album. And I love that part of the album. So "Evil" is one of my favourite. "Up to No Good" is some mixture of Twisted Sister and Mötley Crüe style. It reminds me "Looks That Kill" by Mötlye Crüe with that guitar intro sound. Was it meant to sound exactly like that? A song, I really can't get, is "Apollyon". It's a boring song for me. The same with "Scream Demon".  

So do I like the new album? It's 50/50. Unfortunately "Killection" will rank somewhere between the albums I don't like so much. I cannot say I hate any Lordi album. I always find some songs I like on each album. So I rank those albums according to my favourite songs. And there are maybe 4 songs I like on "Killection"

Tracklist (with my rating)

1. Radio SCG 10
2. Horror for Hire ★★★★★
3. Shake the Baby Silent ★★★★☆
4. Like a Bee to the Honey ★★★☆☆
5. Apollyon ★☆☆☆☆
6. SCG10 the Last Hour
7. Blow My Fuse ★★☆☆☆
8. I Dug a Hole in the Yard for You ★★★★★
9. Zombimbo ★★★☆☆
10. Up to No Good ★★★☆☆
11. SCG10 Demonic Semitones
12. Cutterfly ★★★★★
13. Evil ★★★★☆
14. Scream Demon ★☆☆☆☆
15. SCG10 I Am Here

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat